The early pioneers of Wenty Leagues had tremendous vision even though they certainly lacked capital! Capital was accrued from Members’ subscription fees, raffles, beer tickets, first try scorer etc. plus a loan from the local Bank of New South Wales guaranteed by Millers’ Brewery.
Finally land was purchased on September 25, 1959 and it was then the real work started.
The first application for a Liquor License was made in July, 1960 with 211 Members and these Members have been regarded by previous Board of Directors as the Foundation Members. However, the original 46 of September 1958 are considered the “Original Foundation Members or Foundation Life Members”.
The most positive step towards the building of a Club commenced during 1956 when the General Committee of the Rugby League Football Club resolved that the office bearers at that time would make up the Committee to form a Leagues Club.
As an immediate means of raising finance it was resolved that Foundation Life Membership for a subscription of Ten Pounds ($20.00) would be offered. Barry Moulds, Jim Docking and Wally Webster placed 10 Pound notes on the table which meant that the Leagues Club was up and running.
The Company was registered on the August 12, 1958 and the 46 Foundation Life Members were admitted by the Board of Directors on September 11, 1958.
The first building that the Club opened in 1962 was a modest one compared to the massive facility that now graces the Great Western Highway/Smith Street site. The single level building was built at a cost of $46,000 to cater for a membership at that time of about 200.
WENTY LEAGUES IN 2017
OVER $1 MILLION